[thelist] developer ethics?

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Tue Mar 5 05:05:00 CST 2002

Hi,
I had exactly the same situation, a friend was telling me how hugely prices
varied between webdesign companies, they asked two major consulting
companies, and one local - the prices ranged from $100.000 to $1.000.000 for
the same job.
When I saw the result I was shocked - I wrote my friend a detailed mail
outlining the worst flaws - the result was not that they were fixed, but
that a note was put on the front-page:

"Currently, this website has been designed for Microsoft Internet Explorer
v4.0 and higher."
And that on a government-subsidised public service site!

One of the worst flaws, was that they were hosting on a unpatched version of
Lotus Domino, so any file on the server could be downloaded!

As this list is publicly archived, I'd rather not publish the URL, but I do
agree that major companies are obviously employing under-qualified
personnel, and delivering shoddy work.

Some kind of ISO standard for website design would be a good thing - most of
us validate our work, and follow a checklist of usability points, but I'm
not aware of a global standard that a customer could demand his site comply
to, and be able to have the site checked independently before the contract
was signed off.

Cheers,

Richard.