[thelist] developer ethics?

James Newbery jamesnewbery at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 06:31:01 CST 2002

 --- Ben Henick <persist1 at io.com> wrote:
> 5.  However... if the client paid for "cheap" then
> they should be able
>     to deal with the fact that they got what they
> paid for.

How does a client know what they are going get at the
end of a contract? Surely this should not be
determined by guesswork from the amount of money they
have forked out, but should be outlined as part of the
contract from the beginning.

Unfortunately, because of the lack of formal
professional standards, clients have to posess a
certain amount of web knowledge to understand exactly
what they expect at the end of a project.

My point is that more money doesn't necessarily mean
better quality (usability, accessibility, relevance,
consistency, standards conformance, well-formatted
code, blah, blah), usually it means flashier graphics
and swishier designs, which can result in completely
inappropriate sites.

What do people think of Macromedia's efforts to
provide web development certification schemes? Would
this sort of thing bring a much needed professional
standard? Or does it just stifle the open nature of
the market?