[thelist] Request for Site Critique - glasshaus

Veronica Yuill veronicay at archetype-it.com
Tue Mar 5 09:11:17 CST 2002

At 13:35 05/03/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>Anyway, I work for a new (web developer/designer) publishing company called
>glasshaus. We have got the first release of our web site into test stage, so
>I was wondering if you'd mind giving it a bit of a critique for us. You can
>find it at http://www.glasshaus.com/test.
>
>The main things I am looking for are firstly usability/accessibility issues
>- we have run it through bobby, and made any necessary changes, and had a
>hard think about usability...we have used CSS properties to place the
>sections, rather than tables...
>
>Also, are there any other improvements you could suggest? Cross-browser wise
>it seems great in Moz, Netscape 6 and IE. Netscape 4.X/Opera seem to do
>funny things to the CSS in places, but are otherwise ok functionality wise.
>It even looks ok in Lynx... ;-)

I find the blue rather glaring. I also feel a looks a bit "cheap" -- a
slightly darker tone would be better. In Opera 6/Windows, the main body of
the text is a bit messy. The book titles and headings overlap the body
text, the text overlaps the copyright line at the bottom, and some of the
links in the menu overlap each other as well, making parts of the page
unreadable and some links inaccessible. The size of some of the text in the
menu is up the spout as well -- some links too small to be readable, and
the privacy policy and T&C links gigantic and overlapping. Could be because
I have my fonts set to large.

Veronica Yuill                 email: veronicay at archetype-it.com
Archetype Information Technology Ltd  http://www.archetype-it.com/english/