[thelist] developer ethics?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Tue Mar 5 11:14:00 CST 2002

Hi 'stand(ard)-out'   [;-)],

Maybe if you try it from the employer perspective?

You have one opening.  You have dozens of resumes on your desk.  You
have an hour and a half to select who to bring in for an interview.
[Yeah - they sat on the desk for 3 weeks - but there were other meetings
and things to get done.]

That's not enough time to go out and 'nose around' each of the
applicant's sites, test them in various browsers and check validation.

It is enough time to sort resumes into "folks with degrees and/or
certifications" and "folks who don't" piles ... try to find a "top 2 or
3" in the pile of your choice by flipping coins or whatever ... and
maybe key in an URL or two to see if they are broken.

Are there good people in the "don't" pile?  Absolutely!

Are there [less-than-wonderful] folks with degrees and certificates out
the wazzutti in the other pile?  Absolutely!

I don't think anyone was saying that having a certificate or a sheepskin
makes anyone 'qualified'.  I thought the point was that it can be
helpful to get someone in the door -- they still have to shine on their
own.

So I somewhat agree,

RonL.

BTW - I think there are industries and nations where 'certification'
does mean a certain level of competency.  [I hear it takes a 3-year
apprenticeship to be 'certified' as a waiter in Switzerland.  I would
guess that would carry a certain level of competency with it which would
give some credence or weight to the certification.]