[thelist] developer ethics?

Eöl eol1 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 5 15:21:32 CST 2002

I apologize.  I missed the "someone from the company
had *called him* and asked for his opinion." in the
original post.  It was my misunderstanding that he
came across this site while still !production somehow
and was commenting on a current in developement or
nearly finished contracted site (or maybe he orginally
competed on the contract, lost, and beared a grudge).

<inserts foot here/> :)

Eöl

--- Tara Cleveland <tara at taracleveland.com> wrote:
> Of course we can't call every company out of the
> blue with a crappy website
> and tell them why their site is crappy. But the
> original poster said that
> someone from the company had *called him* and asked
> for his opinion. That
> person had been trying to do the research and
> networking.
>
> So, if he then tells the company who has asked him
> for his expert opinion
> that he won't comment on someone else's work, and
> all of the web
> designers/developers contacted by the company say
> the same thing, then yes
> it will affect the whole industry. If you had tried
> to go out and get the
> info from other furniture repair guys and they
> refused to comment on anyone
> else's work, and you got shafted, then you might
> very well blame the whole
> profession and try to fix it yourself the next time.
>
> Regards,
> Tara
>
> --
> Tara Cleveland
> Web Design and Consulting
> http://www.taracleveland.com
>
> > From: "Eöl" <eol1 at yahoo.com>
> > Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:25:27 -0800 (PST)
> > To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> > Subject: Re: [thelist] developer ethics?
> <snip>
> > I don't necessarily agree with this one.  Like
> *all*
> > job fields, there are uneducated and uncaring
> workers
> > that could care less about the job and only care
> about
> > the moeny.  That doesn't sour the atmosphere at
> all
> > though.  Going to use furniture repair for example
> > (mainly because I just got a chair fixed, but
> anybody
> > can think of numerious examples in the whole
> entire
> > service industry).  Well I find out later from a
> > friend of mine, that I was overcharge by 100%,
> could
> > have got it fixed for half that had I looked
> around
> > and talked to some people (networking).  Does this
> > look bad upon the WHOLE ENTIRE furniture repair
> > profession..nope.  Do I blame other repair guys
> for
> > not calling me on the phone and telling me the guy
> is
> > shoddy, nope.  I blame myself for not networking
> and
> > researching.
> >
> > This is the same example as the orginal post.  If
> > client gets shoddy service, they  are not going to
> > blame they entire web developement field, they are
> > going to blame that contractor (and maybe the guy
> that
> > hired him).  While sure it is our responsibility
> > educate clients and produce professional work, it
> is
> > also our responsibility to do this in OUR WORK and
> [...]

=====
Never underestimate the extent of human stupidity.
De Opresso Liber