[thelist] developer ethics?

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Tue Mar 5 15:22:00 CST 2002

> ISO standards...spun off another group of folks (Ben or Bev can you
> send me the address?...) set to discuss web standards and what a
> desired role would be for us (professional web developers) to take...
>
> (Jay Blanchard)

Yes, a few weeks ago a very similar conversation led to the start of the
formation of a new group. We're slow in moving, but it's a very worthwhile
effort. Anyone interested in being involved please Email me offlist as I
don't wish to clutter up this list with references to our other list.

> (I'm coming from architecture...all those norms and regulations. I value
the
> professional freedom here in webdesign)
>
> Mike

But without all those standards, the architecture would be something like
web design, and I for one would stop visiting public buildings.

> Some kind of ISO standard for website design would be a good
> thing...I'm not aware of a global standard...before
> the contract was signed off.
>
> Richard.

This hits the nail right on the head. We have nothing like this, and won't
until (see my comments above). Keyword, though: STANDARD, not Specification.

> Unfortunately, because of the lack of formal
> professional standards, clients have to possess a
> certain amount of web knowledge to understand exactly
> what they expect at the end of a project.
>
> (James Newberry)

Clients will never have this knowledge. It's not their job. They need an
outside seal of approval they can depend on, or else they're trusting us,
which is not assumably safe.

> ...it is imperative for a professional web designer/developer
> to understand and *at least* give a nod to standards and usability etc..
>
> Tara

Yes, that would be nice, but it's not enough. A technology as advanced and
as widely used and depended on as ours should be ashamed to not have "global
standards" that are known to be followed. It was nice, early on in the
technology to have incredible freedom. Without it, things wouldn't have
grown as fast as they have. But now we've reached a point where the freedom
is hurting the stability of the technology instead of fostering its growth.

Sorry for all the snipping, but this is probably one of the most important
parts of our job today and in the future, whether we realize it or not.

Bill