[thelist] Apache/PHP Threading

Pete Freitag pf at cfdev.com
Tue Mar 5 20:02:00 CST 2002

I think in general it's not a good idea to make statements like that because
it's incredibly dependent on the hardware setup.  I remember working with a
client helping them tune their linux CF server, and we found the sweet spot
(most requests/sec) to be much higher than 3 threads.

My advice is that you get some web server testing software, I like OpenSTA
http://www.opensta.org it's free (some testing software costs upwards of
$50k) and works well. And keep adjusting the number of threads until you
find your sweet spot.  I've always heard Allaire/Macromedia recommend the
same approach to finding the correct number of threads (or Simultaneous
Requests as its called in the CF Administrator).  You will also the cfstat
program in the cfusion/bin directory to be useful as well.

Pete Freitag (pfreitag at cfdev.com)
CTO, CFDEV.COM
Web Developer Resources
http://www.cfdev.com/