[thelist] Tracking users on a site

R.Livsey R.Livsey at cache-22.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 09:53:01 CST 2002

> Just want to know if anyone has any ideas on how I can track users of a
> site. My server logs don't show what I need.
> What I want is to know how long users stay on my site and what pages they
> looked at.
>
> There is about 30 pages in the site. I don't realy want a "free tracker /
> counter" as these do go offline and normaly display an image that is
called
> from a remote server.
>
> I can use php cgi perl so any sugestions greatfully recieved.
>
> Alan Lloyd

Hi,

Take a look at www.cache-22.co.uk

I am in the process of writing such a tracking system on there and if you
view the php source of the page (button on the top bar) you can see what I
have so far.
Currently a combo of javascript and PHP log stats to a mySQL database via an
image (which is a php script).
Over the coming weeks I will extend the system to include a front end to
display the data such as most travelled paths with visual elements created
in GD.

The relavent pages are :
http://www.cache-22.co.uk/view_source.php?file=stat_image.php (the image)
http://www.cache-22.co.uk/view_source.php?file=templates/tpl.main.php (teh
main page template with the javascript in)

and a few others such as function includes, but you can navigate to these
from the view_source page anyway.

HTH

R.Livsey