[thelist] Hiermenus (licensing)

Olena Sullivan olena at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 7 10:13:01 CST 2002

Michael Galvin wrote:

    "I'd be interested in knowing how they are going to stop present
    users from using it for free, though. I guess they could do a web
    search for their 'hierarrays.js' script, assuming people with large
    enough sites (the ones they would want to be paid for) are not going
    to go through each page on the site, renaming it."

I actually emailed them since a client of mine has several sites that
use their HierMenus and I wanted to know how this was going to work.
Their answer:

<paraphrase>

    User of older versions of HM will not need to license the
    product. However, if you want to upgrade in any way or want any kind
    of technical support, you have to license HM, no matter how old the
    version.

</paraphrase>

So that's how it's going to work - no license = no upgrades or tech
support. You're on your own.

They won't be trying to sniff out older users of the product to try and
get some moolah out of them. Of course, what exactly is the older
version. At what point in time do they consider it an older version? And
if the code is still free on the site, then I don't see how they can
enfore the licensing at all without surfing the net, day after day, and
checking source codes as they go - a tedious process which some
companies actually do.

:) Olena Sullivan
Graphic Design and Web Consultation