[thelist] character set word -> ascii

Eric Vitiello evolt at perceive.net
Thu Mar 7 11:54:00 CST 2002

-- m u i n a r [Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:03:55 -0800]:
>Thanks Eric. Didn't think about a regexp. Sounds promising.
>Only thing is... if it replaces the line breaks, or the
>'Umlauts' (ä, ö, ü) with a blank space, it wouldn't look
>much more legible. AFAIK ä, ö and ü aren't a problem with
>email normally (as you can see in this email here), but in
>the example below they are scrambled anyway:

you can simply add in the characters you need to have preserved.  change the regex to:

[^\x20-\x7E\x80-\xA5\n]

that encompases all the accented characters,and the linebreak.

>What confuses me: The HMTL form itself has inserted the line breaks.
>I used wrap="hard" for this in the text area. The newsletter is then
>stored in the database and retrieved from there by another file,
>which sends the newsletter out. This file has a preview, and in this
>preview everything looked perfect!

if you use wrap="hard" it WILL insert line breaks.  That's what it's supposed to do.

from the MSDN DHTML Library:

soft:  Default. Text is displayed with wordwrapping and submitted without carriage returns and line feeds.

hard: Text is displayed with wordwrapping and submitted with soft returns and line feeds.

off: Wordwrapping is disabled. The lines appear exactly as the user types them.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/textarea.asp>

>Maybe the headers are the problem? I have:

Why do you have a MIME-Version attribute?  are you MIME encoding it?

---
Eric Vitiello
Perceive Designs
<www.perceive.net>