[thelist] Is Java dead ? (was Evolt Hiermenus?)

BT Bigpant bigpant at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 7 18:29:01 CST 2002

>but if we're just making available a hiermenus-like solution,
>it wouldn't hurt to have a flash alternative.
>but not a java applet. those are just evil.

Not that I'm in bed with Java or anything (I can't even write a decent
applet myself !), but why the vehement attitude towards applets?

Sure, it's a bit slow and clunky, but (apart from lack of Microsoft
support), what is so offensive. I have considered learning Java because of
it's write-once-read-anywhere philosophy, plus it's superb security record.
Is Java really dead ? If so, what will replace it ? .NET (the security risk
of the century) ?

Any comments appreciated

Phil Parker