[thelist] Is Java dead ? (was Evolt Hiermenus?)

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Mar 7 19:27:01 CST 2002

>Java
>
>Sure, it's a bit slow and clunky, but (apart from lack of Microsoft
>support), what is so offensive.

For one thing, using client-side Java can be a bad decision if you
want people with Macs to be able to use your site. I've seen a few
applets that work great on a Mac and were probably the best (or only)
thing to use to achieve the task at hand, but they have definitely
been the rare exception.

Personally, it doesn't bother me ... I have Java off and am
sophisticated enough to know when I have to turn it on ... but it's
the same thing as Flash: it's nothing wrong or offensive, but
sometimes there's _everything_ wrong with using it. (At least it's
difficult to unintentionally crash a browser or freeze a system with
Flash. ... well ... assuming you stay away from FSCommand, which uses
Java!).

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/