[thelist] Is Java dead ? (was Evolt Hiermenus?)

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Thu Mar 7 19:50:01 CST 2002

Nope, Java is by no means dead.

When a person says an applet for heirarchical menus is not a GoodThing, it
is just one purpose that Java is not necessarily suited for. There is a
simpler option (and imho a smoother option) available because applets are
clunky to load in a browser -- try Netscape with an applet!

Applets themselves can be put to some very good uses, for instance,
smartmoney.com's MarketMap or Yahoo's chess applet because this is
complicated client-side functionality and Java wins hands down in this
arena, even over Flash.

    > Is Java really dead ? If so, what will replace it ? .NET (the security
risk
    > of the century) ?

I have no idea where this is coming from? What does .NET have to do with a
simple message on applets and menus? Any why is .NET a security risk per se?
Sounds like ill-educated opinion mongering. Last time I checked, eBay runs
off Windows boxes so there is nothing inherently wrong with Microsoft and
their platforms -- heck they help a LOT of people around the world make
money through their VB, VC++, ASP, SQL Server etc. They are just a
relatively highprofile target for hacking and a good deal of envious malice,
which is understandable.  Facts please.

    > as a server side solution, afaics, is the standardized API. Compare
    > how hard it is to find a web host who will offer just the right build
    > of PHP. For example: GD library (well, prefer netpbm anyhow, still),
    > XSLT, FTP, and MCrypt.

Even with Java, you can get different versions of JDK. Besides, what do you
mean "standardized" -- try sending an email in Java for instance. It is not
unusual to have to plug additional "components" such as Java Mail, JAF, Java
Help etc.

Secondly, and this may be a subjective issue, I believe plugability is a
very good thing. Why should you give a HUGE bundle to everyone who may never
really need to use 60% of the functionality? Why should I have to download
Oracle text cartridge with the Oracle database (which puffs up the download
by around 2 MB) if I won't even use it? I'd rather have a simple base, and
then plug in or out whatever I need.

Your point about finding a web host with "standard" functionality is
difficult to understand. If the host does not install those components you
mentioned (which I think most of them do!) then you just should consider
another one or request your webhost to add it for you since it is not a
major decision. How could an extra MCrypt component hurt them?

My 20 yen
-sShanx