[thelist] encoding question: utf8 or big5 for chinese?

Erick Papadakis erick_papadakis at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 20:21:00 CST 2002

hello,

we are considering buying a software. it will be used
by completely chinese users who do not speak english,
and the data will be entirely in chinese. usually, at
least on a browser, the charset encoding we use is
big5.

the software vendor tells me that they support "UTF8"
but not big5. can someone tell me what this means?

i mean, i can imagine that there are two things: the
GUI of a software and the data. the data should be ok
because we are sure that we will use oracle and oracle
can support chinese content. but what is UTF8 support?

i know i can ask the vendor for what they mean, but i
need to appear intelligent. i searched google for UTF8
and did not much understand from utf8.com what it is
really about.

thanks/erick

p.s.
thanks to all who replied about "networking". phew!
(much appreciated!)