[thelist] Is Java dead ? (was Evolt Hiermenus?)

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Mar 7 21:14:01 CST 2002

Hi,

>     > as a server side solution, afaics, is the standardized API. Compare
>     > how hard it is to find a web host who will offer just the right build
>     > of PHP. For example: GD library (well, prefer netpbm anyhow, still),
>     > XSLT, FTP, and MCrypt.
>
>Even with Java, you can get different versions of JDK. Besides, what do you
>mean "standardized" -- try sending an email in Java for instance. It is not
>unusual to have to plug additional "components" such as Java Mail, JAF, Java
>Help etc.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of Java -- from an
outsider's p.o.v. it appears to be less open to dependency problems.
Heck, that's the message Sun on the Java banner they wave: 'Write
once, run anywhere.' Are these Java 'components' classes you include?
or are they compiled into the Java VM? I don't find including classes
an inconvenience.

>I'd rather have a simple base, and then plug in or out whatever I need.

True, the GD library is a good point -- I don't really like its
results, and much prefer netpbm. It also carries a performance hit
for all the other hosted sites which don't use GD, hence hosts'
reluctance to rebuild php with it. *But* there is an increasing
number of open source projects which require PHP built with the GD
library. That is what annoys me about plug-in functionality -- not
having control over what's plugged in (yes, of course one can always
run one's own server, or re-write the code to use alternatives).

>Your point about finding a web host with "standard" functionality is
>difficult to understand.

Probably phrased it poorly.

>If the host does not install those components you
>mentioned (which I think most of them do!)

Few here have GD, XSLT, or MCrypt. The absence of GD is a Good Thing
(TM) as far as I'm concerned, but occasionally annoying.

>How could an extra MCrypt component hurt them?

Someone has to compile and install the libraries, then recompile PHP.
Same story with XSLT. Doesn't hurt, and good hosts will. I guess my
point is this: Java *appears* to be more or less static in it's API
for a given version; PHP gains in flexibility and speed, but annoys
the living @#$@#$ out of me every now and then because of the above.

Apologies for just throwing an unjustifiable opinion into the mix... :)

Cheers
Andrew
--
Andrew Forsberg