[thelist] Is Java dead ? (was Evolt Hiermenus?)

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Thu Mar 7 21:20:01 CST 2002

On Mar 8, BT Bigpant had something to say about [thelist] Is Java dead ?...

>>but if we're just making available a hiermenus-like solution,
>>it wouldn't hurt to have a flash alternative.
>>but not a java applet. those are just evil.
>
>Not that I'm in bed with Java or anything (I can't even write a decent
>applet myself !), but why the vehement attitude towards applets?

you snipped the "heh"

yeah, i don't like them, but i don't think they're evil, as the
non-"heh" version implies...

>Sure, it's a bit slow and clunky,

ok, that's two reasons...

>but (apart from lack of Microsoft
>support), what is so offensive. I have considered learning Java because of
>it's write-once-read-anywhere philosophy,

that's great. i'm a java man, myself. i just leave it on the server.

definitely personal preference.

again, just like everything else, java has its place. there are things
applets can do that can't be (easily) done in other client-side
techniques.

>plus it's superb security record.
>Is Java really dead ?

hell no

>If so, what will replace it ? .NET (the security risk
>of the century) ?

um, no. .NET won't replace Java.

if that happens, only the Second Coming will save us.

>Any comments appreciated

well, it was definitely a joke. there's an implied smiley after everything
i say :)

there, of course, it was explicit :)

there too

anywho...