[thelist] Is Java dead ? (was Evolt Hiermenus?)

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Thu Mar 7 23:35:12 CST 2002

On Mar 8, Shashank Tripathi had something to say about Re: [thelist] Is...

>Hi:
>
>    > That is what annoys me about plug-in functionality -- not
>    > having control over what's plugged in (yes, of course one can always
>    > run one's own server, or re-write the code to use alternatives).
>
>For one thing, Java needs to have includes for the simplest of features

That's kind of the point.

>Actually, talking of server-side languages (since we are comparing with
>PHP), we should actually be speaking of JSP and Servlets and not the whole
>of Java. In terms of JSP, I guess I can rest my case - just look at the
>extremely disparate implementations in app servers. They even name their
>"additional" libraries differently.

You mean the servlet implementations? Of course they're named
differently. But, they're implementations of the same interface... which
is one of the beauties of java -- it just doesn't matter what it's called
or who wrote it or whatever. As long as it implements an known interface,
you can ... interface with it.

Before we get into a language holy war, maybe we should look into the
languages we're dismissing.

>One thing that would be great in the PHP world though is some sort of a
>deployment platform, like WAR files in the Java world...

.jar files?

>but then PHP does
>not need it because it is a flexible platform.

more flexible than java? you can pretty much choose your level in java. if
you want to run off of objects made by other people/companies, you can. if
you want to reinvent the wheel and create a servlet engine just for your
needs, you can. if you want to make a customized version of the String
object, you can.

you have to admit, that's pretty damn flexible.

>In the PHP world (which is not JSP-esque kind of an
>afterthought/quick-response-to-increasing-ASP)

heh

>I can define my own directory
>structure,

and you can't with jsp? hell, you can't with servlets? class
files? elephants?

you can.

>so the flexibility is left with me as a developer/architect. Some
>levels of standardization should come from the application, not the language
>provider.

i don't see your point at all, i'm afraid.

i like php (almost) as much as the next guy, but not for the reasons your
stated.

like all language debates, it comes down to two things:
1. preference
2. best tool for the specific task

and da's it. you can debate all you want, but that's what it comes down
to each and every time.

thanks,

--
mattwarden