[thelist] developer ethics?

Kathleen Heytink K_HEYTINK at winebow.com
Fri Mar 8 10:13:23 CST 2002

LOL - this reminds me of a placement exam I took in Spanish.  I went there
to take the Math test, but the administrator suggested I take the Spanish
one as well.  It had been years since I took a Spanish class, but I
qualified for the advanced class through mostly educated guesses.

> Tests are meaningless at measuring anything except your
> ability to pass
> tests.

I tend to agree with this.  Since I don't have a degree in web design and
I'm mostly self-taught, I was looking for a group or organization that
offered certification.  I wanted the certificate from a group that was
highly respected, and I really couldn't find one that stood out from the
crowd.

I would welcome such certification if it existed, but I think it has to
consist of more than merely passing a test.  Perhaps it should include a
test and then some kind of review of your work by a panel of judges.  I'm
thinking along the lines of a juried craft show - after all web design is a
craft.

<tip>Top Style:  If you are using this CSS editor, and the Tantek Celik hack
be careful that TS doesn't insert your new selectors into the middle of the
hack code.  I like TS because I hate typing, but I noticed this quirk, so I
caution you to watch where it's putting your selectors when editing a style
sheet.</tip>

-- Kath ...
work --> www.winebow.com
home --> www.cyber-kat.com --> topkat at cyber-kat.com --