[thelist] Warnings: DHTML+PHP tip

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Fri Mar 8 12:30:00 CST 2002

On 8 Mar 2002 at 18:17, Mark Howells+ppk wrote:

> Hence the note that I originally made that it is a DHTML site. It is
> just Javascript and doesn't access your hard drive and replace the
> Windows OS with a Mac OS.

>fwiw, you don't need to ctrl+alt+del you way out of those windows.  you
>can alt+tab to another window which will cause your task bar to show up.
>then, you can simply right-click on the taskbar entry for the fullscreen
>window and select "close".

 I use Alt+Tab all day, but only had one window (IE) on my taskbar when I
went to the site.

 >alternatively, ctrl+w or alt+4 will close the window as well.

But I don't *normally* close my windows that way. I use Control+C for the
Apache DOS window and the little "x" in the upper right corner of the window
for anything else. Another keyboard shortcut to add to the knowledge
base......txs!

>counter warning:  both sites are nothing more than casually annoying.
>they're not intended to perform any real harm.

I realize this; but IMHO, just because it uses Dynamic HTML doesn't mean
that you have to lose your browser functionality and the Stop, Back, etc.
buttons disappear. There are plenty of people out there that are running
Windows and would appreciate the warning that they are going to a full
screen web site and that the second site does some fake stuff that would
make most people alarmed. Hence my warning for Windows users, nothing
against you personally and no offence taken eh, people just like to know that
stuff beforehand is all.

>beautiful sunny Friday afternoon.

We're getting a freak snowfall here in Vancouver and Victoria, last year
everyone had shorts and t-shirts at this time!

That last sentence probably needs a tip, I'm enjoying learning PHP right now
so:

<tip type="php" author="MarkGroen">
A listing of all the functions available to PHP with a link for each to the
appropriate page in the PHP.net manual is available at:
http://www.php.net/quickref.php
</tip>

HTH!

mark at markgroen.com