[thelist] ASP/CGI/PGP/COLDFUSION & DOCTYPE declaration

Stéphane Gosselin stef at cfusions.com
Sat Mar 9 15:44:32 CST 2002

Hi fellow evolters.

I have been scripting quite a bit in php for the past 2 years, and like a
lot of us here, I learned all I know through books, web-articles, this
list, and did I mention..... trialS & errorS? hahaha :o)

My  quirk today is this:

How important is the DTD in php generated pages?

Obviously, to generate *clean* HTML with PHP (or ANY scripting language)
one has to follow a few extra steps, & I have noticed that
most ( 90%) of the scripts out there DON'T generate validating html at all.

Heck. Most don't have a DTD. Hey. Am I wrong in being more & more '
picky'  on this aspect when I try out code? Am I being 'paranoid' when I
see the html cranked out looks like it's been through a garbage disposer?
No Linebreaks, no tabs is what is commonly seen. Php has absolutely
fabulous functions to format clean html. My first scripts were....well. Awful.

I'd like to hear from others experiences, if they use DTD's and take care
in having clean, legible,  source output, or if you feel
it's overkill.

<tip type="customer-relations">
A simple thank-you note or email, after a first meeting does wonders for
your clients confidence in you.
</tip>