[thelist] ASP/CGI/PGP/COLDFUSION & DOCTYPE declaration

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sat Mar 9 16:07:01 CST 2002

On Mar 9, Stéphane Gosselin had something to say about [thelist]...

>Hi fellow evolters.
>
>I have been scripting quite a bit in php for the past 2 years, and like a
>lot of us here, I learned all I know through books, web-articles, this
>list, and did I mention..... trialS & errorS? hahaha :o)
>
>My  quirk today is this:
>
>How important is the DTD in php generated pages?

pretty important. just as important as if it was a static page.

>Obviously, to generate *clean* HTML with PHP (or ANY scripting language)
>one has to follow a few extra steps, & I have noticed that
>most ( 90%) of the scripts out there DON'T generate validating html at all.

yeah, and that's a shame. it's really not that difficult.

>No Linebreaks, no tabs is what is commonly seen.

well, whitespace is less important. more for the readability of the source
than anything else.

>I'd like to hear from others experiences, if they use DTD's and take care
>in having clean, legible,  source output, or if you feel
>it's overkill.

it's not overkill. like i said, it's just not that hard to do. most
programmers are just lazy in that regard and most companies couldn't give
a rats arse if their program spat out valid html/xhtml... especially if
it's gonna cost them another $0.01 on the dollar. A lot of the time,
companies sell applications to other companies... where there is a
specific browser used. Then, it's less important, in their view, to have
valid html, and more important to produce an application that works great
in that browser, taking into account browser-specific features.

hth,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com