[thelist] Standard File Extensions

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Mon Mar 11 11:01:01 CST 2002

On 11 Mar 2002 at 8:10, Beau Hartshorne posted a message which said:

> One of the posters made the comment that for some reason, several search
> engines would index his ".htm" pages as ".html" pages. So when users
> found a page on his site and tried to click through, they would end up
> with a 404.

I think most users automatically assume that it's HTML instead of HTM,
and you'd get a lot of *human* errors, too.

Anyone who uses HTM as the extension probably ought to routinely put a
RedirectMatch directive in all his .htaccess files to map requests for
HTML files to the HTM equivalent.

deke

*Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,
my grandmother used to say, "The black cat is always the last one off
the fence." I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was
undoubtedly true. --
                       Solomon Short