[thelist] setting up "localhost"

Joel Canfield Joel at spinhead.com
Tue Mar 12 01:19:01 CST 2002

>I use Broadband connection and I see that the IP address I get
>is not dedicated. When I do IPCONFIG I see some 192.168...
>kind of adress which seems to suggest that I do not have a
>unique IP address from my ISP.
>
>Without a UNIQUE ip address, how can I run Apache on my server
>so that my friends can see it too?
>
>I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
>Thanks
>
>::Ben

Sorry I haven't followed closer, Ben, but that's an unroutable IP address
used on private networks. Even if you gave me the complete address, I
couldn't get to you unless we were on the same private network, because
regular TCP/IP protocols (you know, the internet?) won't even recognize the
address.

If your ISP is doing some kind of network address translation in order to
give you internet access (the only way I can think of with that address)
then it's virtually impossible for anyone to see that machine.

If your ISP doesn't want you hosting a site, they're not going to help. But
for an extra charge (in Southern California, they add $15 to my $50 DSL
bill) you can get a static address (or a few; I've got 5) and host your own
machine any way you want. But in the end, your ISP holds the reins.

joel