[thelist] IIS won't start

Peter Kaulback pkaulbak at idirect.ca
Tue Mar 12 14:40:00 CST 2002

In the hour of 09:14 PM 3/11/2002 -0800, Anthony Baratta spoke this:
>At 06:59 PM 3/11/2002, Peter Kaulback wrote:
>>Thanks Anthony for the info.  I uninstalled and reinstalled IIS with no
>>affect, w3csvc is still the only service in "starting" position.
>
>Check the permissions on the default web site target directory (heck all of
>the home directories for all the virtual sites, if you had more than one).
>You might want to force them to "Everyone - Full Control" just to see if
>IIS will boot.

All permissions are set to "Everyone - Full Control" and IIS won't boot,

>See if you can change the default behaviour of the "World Wide Web
>Publishing" Service via Services and set that to "manual". Then open IIS
>Admin and "Turn off/Stop" all the virtual web sites (even Admin). Then see
>if WWW starts via services with no virtual web sites running.

It's always been at Manual but I switched around and still it hangs at
"Starting"

>Check your start up programs (start up folders and via the register) and
>remove all un-necessary applications (e.g. Viri Checkers).
>
>Lastly try renaming/moving the Metabase files that IIS uses.
>
>         C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\MetaBase.bin

Tried all this and now there is one service that cannot start but for the
life of me I can't find it's origin.  Event viewer shows that ASCTRM won't
start because the system cannot find the file.  It is not to be found on
the system.  SFC did not detect any problems but there are multiple entries
for ASCTRM throughout the registry.  Win2k repair found no problems either.
I think it's time to backup and reinstall.

Peter Kaulback