[thelist] CSS Question

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Wed Mar 13 08:39:01 CST 2002

> The *idea* behind it (afaik) is that if people are using browsers
> that don't
> support CSS2 then they might as well receive the unformatted page layout.

Let me question one thing, though.  On BlueRobot.com, he notes that:

"This layout fails in IE4.5/Mac. That browser has poor support for CSS
absolute positioning, yet it recognizes and executes the CSS @import
statement used to hide CSS from broken browsers. Currently, there is no
known solution."

Since this is true, from the perspective of a company which is trying to
sell products on the web, is using CSS positioning a valid option.  Let's
assume that 1% of users are visiting their website with that browser.  Is
the value of using CSS for positioning really more valuable to a company
than creating accessable pages to that 1% of its population?

If not, the time for CSS positioning is not here yet.  What are your
thoughts?

Josh