[thelist] Which HTML (W3C validator)

Michael Galvin michael at sourcedesign.ie
Thu Mar 14 09:10:00 CST 2002

I'm a little confused.  I decided to run one of my clients' sites through
the W3C validator, and obviously and quite expectedly, it threw up major
chunks.  But picking the DOCTYPE in the validator didn't seem to make things
any better.

4.01 Frameset had a problem with <td> background
4.01 Strict had a problem with <body> bgcolor (!)
3.2 had a problem with <body> onload
2.0 had a problem with anything more than <table>

The best I could get was 4.01 Transitional.  I assume by rights, I should be
conforming to 4.01 Strict?  Is there any reason why I would ever want to
validate using older DOCTYPEs?  If I can't use <body bgcolor...> in 4.01
strict, the implies to me that I need to use CSS for all formatting?

Michael Galvin