[thelist] Rules for CSS Style Names

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Fri Mar 15 10:48:01 CST 2002

[snip]

>The only
> thing I see in common is that they all contain an underscore in the style
> name. Is this a problem for browsers or just for the validator?

from
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1

a.. in CSS1, selectors (element names, classes and IDs) can contain only the
characters A-Z, 0-9, and Unicode characters 161-255, plus dash (-); they
cannot start with a dash or a digit; they can also contain escaped
characters and any Unicode character as a numeric code (see next item).

underscores are illegal in selector names

heres a unicode chart
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/4038/graph/fontset.htm

hth,

morgan