[thelist] RE: SQLSession to PostgreSQL

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Sat Mar 16 03:46:01 CST 2002

Andrew Forsberg wrote:

>On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 18:41, Treasurer, OTO Australia wrote:
>
>>Hi Andrew,
>>
>>Thanks for your help. I'm still confused though.
>>

>Me too! PHP's postgresql functions behave in totally different ways to
>the mysql functions... sigh. :) The docs suggest that's all about to
>change sometime soon, signs of the coming storm, and all that.

In that case it would probably be better to use the PEAR database
abstraction layer - should PHP's postgres functions change you won't be
affected as PEAR will be updated to reflect this and you'll just have to
drop in the new PEAR code (the class interface will stay the same so
none of your code will need changing). Evolt has an article on using
PEAR DB abstraction:

http://www.evolt.org/article/Abstract_PHP_s_database_code_with_PEAR_DB/17/21927/index.html

And there are some more articles here:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/allan20010115.php3