[thelist] real men code by hand...

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 16 18:38:01 CST 2002

> I'd be interested to start a thread on the virtues and vices regarding
> our coding preferences.

Sounds like you're bored on a Sat. night and attempting to start a flame
war... (but I'll be game)

I started writing html (i won't call it coding) back on notepad and bbedit.
Gave dreamweaver a try... and found it's good for somethings... but sucks
for most.  However, one of the extremely useful features I found on BBedit
was the table builder... makes creating complex tables a snap... and saves
lots of time.

But I think that was the extent of my fascination with WYSIWYG editors.

Once was doing a web-based project for a large financial firm and my manager
decided to check out all of my files from source control and open them in an
old version of Adobe GoLive.  It mangled the code.  I wanted to mangle her.
Took approx. 40 hrs to fix all of the crap it changed by just opening the
file (I have no idea why she then saved...)

GoLive was banned from our office from that point forward.

But to this day, I code by hand.  All of it.  It's worth the investment in
learning how to write everything properly as opposed to having an
application magically create it for you.

David
www.confluentforms.com