[thelist] The best web based WHOIS service?

Kevin p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon Mar 18 11:19:07 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:58:49PM +0000, Simon Willison wrote:
> I'm looking for a web based whois service which can cope with pretty
> much any domain name I throw at it (no matter what TLD it is for), give
> me as much information as possible and most importantly can be queried
> via GET. I want to set up a mozilla shortcut to perform whois's so the
> service can't rely on posted forms.

> Any ideas? All the ones I've tried so far either use POST or can only
> cope with a small selection of TLDs...

Do you have access to any Unix hosting?
Or even windows hosting that allows you to upload your own CGIs?

Just use the whois command.

Since you want to use get it looks like you want to use someone else whois
gateway.  It's probably better just to build your own.

Or can probably download one at hotscripts.com.

- Kevin