[thelist] laid back lists was Re: real men code by hand...

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Mon Mar 18 14:27:00 CST 2002

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, katherine wrote:

> > I don't like 'em, But bras are like good code, The packaging is
> > unimportant it's what's inside that counts. (is that too rude?)
>
> hilarious!

...And just so's the stuff inside the package is, um, used thoughtfully...
<g>

> book on..in oregon.." you would be reprimanded for asking where in
> oregon..because as I was told, thou shalt only ask where on the web.

Eek!

> Of course I was actually reprimanded for saying I'd just moved back to
> Oregon, after a 3.5 year stint in Washington and was wondering what the
> market was like here.

Are you /still/ in Oregon?  If so, where?  (Oregon is fairly represented
here.)

> I'd rather be on an unmoderated list where the "boys" are a bit fresh
> now n then than be on a list where you have to wonder about every little
> thing you say even when its ON topic.

That's what tips are for.  I'll probably be including one on this list
just for karma's sake, since this is a meta-message.

> What's the world coming to when you can't have a bit of fresh humor now
> n then.

Political correctness, for one.  *grin*

> I'm graceless and have big feet. I love design and I love a bit of code
> but darn its all so boring when no other aspect of life can be
> interjected.
>
> am I on the wrong list? If this is a moderated list, tell me now so I
> can run.

It's moderated, but gently.  In fact, the subscribers do a lot of the
work, which mostly consists of reminders to keep the signal:noise ratio
high by whatever means.

Just mail djc at members.evolt.org if you've got any specific questions
(though I suspect that he'll read this message regardless).

In two years-ish The only times I've seen threads ordered stopped were in
the case of a WYSIWYG vs. manual-markup holy war, and a recent case in a
time-management thread where some troll lobbed a grenade after somebody
mentioned church as a worthwhile use of one's non-work time (and how to
schedule it, of course).

> Katherine
> looking for a list where talk between designers and tech folk isn't too
> tightly regimented.

This is probably the place to go, since we have a positive system in place
for offtopic posting.

<tip type="Spaces in filenames on Unix-based systems" author="Ben Henick">

Let's suppose that you've uploaded a file called

New Design.html

and need to change its name.  So, from the user shell (not the FTP shell):

mv "New Design.html" new_design.html

...For one example.

</tip>

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."