[thelist] Three dimensional button with Photoshop

BT Bigpant bigpant at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 19 03:51:01 CST 2002

>You will see some planets floating in the heavens of imaginary worlds. I
>just wanted to create such planets but I am too ignorant. I want to do
>all this with Photoshop 6.0 because I am familiar with this software
>better than any other.

To create artwork like this, you really need to be looking into 3D
applications such as 3D Studio Max. Sure, you can get some pretty amazing
effects in Photoshop with the myriad plugins available, and you may well
achieve the result you are after. But I feel it would be trial and error,
and may take some considerable time.

I know many of the 3D applications can be expensive, so shop around. I
suggest you ask the artist what (s)he used to create images. The price tag
usually reflects the features. For example, 3DSMax supports a whole list of
features you may never use, but you might find the particle systems and
volumetric lighting worthy of the investment. But there a dozens of high
quality apps that cost a fraction of 3DSMax that may well suit your budget.
Computer Arts magazine often comes with trial/last version 3D apps, it might
be worth getting that.

Above all of that, I can see why you want to emulate these graphics, they
are quite stunning, and obviously represent a great deal of talent, hard
work and a detailed knowledge of a graphics application. If you are really
struggling to achieve the right effect, it might be worth asking the artist
if you can use his/her graphics, or if (s)he would design buttons for you.
While this won't help improve your skillset, it will help you get your
website up and running more quickly. It all depends what your priorities
are.

HTH
Phil Parker