[thelist] real men code by hand...

Simon Dell simondl at epic.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 05:08:01 CST 2002

Simon,

At 10:16 19/03/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Vi (or rather Vim) is actually an incredibly powerful editor. It has a
>huge set of features (regular expressions, folding, buffers, syntax
>highlighting, the ability to customise it) but as you observed getting
>started with it is a nightmare. I'd love to be able to say I use Vi, but
>the truth is I stick with UltraEdit as all of Vi's bizzare keyboard
>commands make me dizzy :( It's definitely worth learning as it seems to
>come as standard on pretty much every *nix box out there and it's just
>as usable from a terminal as it is in a windowing system - it's just a
>shame the learning curve is so daunting...

But as i'm sure you're aware, UltraEdit has:
regular expressions (albeit a rather weak and slightly modified subset of
the UNIX ones)
keyword highlighting (with a HUGE library of languages)
multiple clipboards (buffers?)
macros, customizations,
a dictionary
the ability to call programs from a command line and to view their output
(thought it always crashes my w98 machine!)
and you can use a mouse with it!!!

So you really shouldn't feel any kind of UNIX envy at people who decide to
torture themselves with VI

Simon