[thelist] CVS... (info needed !)

Stéphane Gosselin stef at cfusions.com
Tue Mar 19 05:15:01 CST 2002

Hey. (Especially M. Anthony Berretta !)

  I've been wanting for a long while now to get a CVS sort of system
running on a small home server, I've tried twice in the past 3 years, both
times failed miserably and I remember a few late evenings of twiddling to
just end up having . . . twiddled??? :o). Oh, I don't laugh you all I did
manage to create a CVS directory on www.soundforge.net , AWESOME site by
the way. Saw the hardware section and pheeeeeeeeew !

Anyhow. I created the directory but was unsure of the proper....
methodology to apply. Updates seemed ... complicated.
How would one apply version numbers to... site & page versions? How do you
know when to change numbers & wich to change?....
The problem wasn't helped by badly ported windows software, not enough
clear, concise tutorials for my needs. Seemed liked updating  required a
series of never ending commands, often leaving me open-mouthed,  in front
of a  screen. Once in a while I'd get to something but
the concept wasn t clear, and I did try reading & re-reading the few
tutorials out there at the time...
I guess working in a cvs environnement requires a strict methodology and
although I  know it is used here and there, especially on big projects...
have yet  to grasp the concepts enough to actually make use of it.
I hope ( and blindly believe) that the software has improved since I LAST
tried installing cvs on my system 2 years ago,
and right now we are all running win2k in here.
Yeah.
I'm sure there must be a few cool tutorials out there, I'll read up on
google, and of course a quick tip search!
Any links from the list will be appreciated.

---- M. Anthony Berreta mentioned something about having his cvs integrated
in homesite. .... ?!?!?!?

  HEY THAT sounds cool. Is that a homemade toolbar you have Anthony?!?

I'm sure a lotta newbies to the subject ( like me ) will be interested in
learning more and possibly 'try' to  integrate it in their web-development.

<tip>
Want to try your hand at developping the open-source way?
Try www.sourceforge.net, they have FREE space for any small project you may
be thinking of developping.
CVS support, all kinds of database support, compile farms...tons of tools
and hardware at your disposal.
You can also contribute to ongoing open-source  projects,
and have access to a goldmine in coding examples ( WHOLE APLICATIONS!) for
most  common platforms & languages.
</tip>