[thelist] percents or pixels?

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Mar 19 12:11:01 CST 2002

Andrew,

[...]
> like font-size:4 (in the 1-6 scale). There are a number of things about
the
> way CSS was defined that drive me nuts (like the fact that the background
> color attribute is "background" while in HTML this indicates the
background
> image).

    There are some things about CSS that irritate a number of developers,
but your point about the CSS background property isn't quite correct. By
itself, "background" in CSS is shorthand for several background-related
properties [1]. While it can be used to specify only a background color
(e.g., background: #ffffff), it can also be used to specify only a
background image, as well (e.g., background: url("bgimage.gif")).
    For clarity, you could instead use the individual properties for each of
these, background-color and background-image, respectively.

James Aylard

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.html#propdef-background