[thelist] MySQL Trouble: GROUP BY clauses

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Mar 20 13:01:01 CST 2002

> What about the queries make my answer SQL-99
> and yours "sql-92 (or sql-86, i'm not really sure)"?

putting a subquery into the SELECT list

treating a subquery as a table in the FROM clause, e.g.

   select foo, bar_data
       from table1,
        (select bar_id, bar_data from zap
             where something = true) as zip
    where foo_id = zip.bar_id

sql-99 is orthogonal, a fifty-cent word that means wherever you can have
data, you can have a (sub)query that gets that data

sql-99 also has a whack of other stuff like repeating groups and row
structures that are too frightening to get into...

<tip type="search engines">
google's still the best, but don't rely on it exclusively --
try teoma.com for additional or different results
</tip>

rudy