[thelist] Tables inside Tables

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Wed Mar 20 13:56:00 CST 2002

> I need some clarification about tables. Look at following code:
> I have gone three tables deep in embedding tables in each other. How
> deep is safer in embedding tables in this way? What are W3C standards?

Assuming that each table is properly formatted with <tr> and <td> tags as
appropriate, you shouldn't have any difficulties with nesting tables. There
was a rumour a while ago that Netscape 4 will have Javascript problems if
you use nested tables more than about ten levels deep, but I can't confirm
that.

As to W3C recommendations, there is a Priority 2 Web Content Accessibility
Guideline at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/wcag-curric/sam48-0.htm> which notes
that it's preferable to use CSS for layout if possible.

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/>