[thelist] Re: how to set up a mailing list

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Fri Mar 22 12:37:22 CST 2002

Andy responded to BT:
> If mail is not automatically delivered via procmail,
> you can force it through there using a .forward file.
>
> Come to think of it, if you want all of your mail to go through a single
> script, you can put something like "| /home/user/bin/mailprocess.pl" in
> your .forward file.

If BT has access to procmail, a very easy to use mailing list program
is "minordomo" (Yes, the name is a play on "Majordomo").

### minordomo -- a lightweight mail processor for moderated
###              mailing lists
### Copyright 1996-2000, Sanford Morton <smorton at pobox.com>
###              except material authored by others

You can get it at Tucows among other places -- Google is your friend.

I set it up to provide a mailing list for a few people I used to work with,
and it was painless.  I even added the ability for them to subscribe and
unsubscribe without manual intervention.  (One downside -- I get the
bounces if one of them has a full mailbox or closes his account, but
that's not unusual for any list manager.)

The recipes to add to procmail are pretty simple:

:0