[thelist] Select Menus - Are they usefull?

warbassedesign.com info at warbassedesign.com
Fri Mar 22 18:25:17 CST 2002

It is my opinion that, functionally, dropdowns make for good navigation.  I
have not read nor am I aware of cons to dropdowns.  I will check out these
folks opinions.  I think, when creating navigation, you have consider Human
Factors (5-7) and not go over that limit.  A long drop down with lots of
links like the one you have on your site could possibly work against you.
You may want to consider a hiernav with submenus.  Just a thought.

In summary: Drop downs are cool if choices are kept to a minimum.  Long drop
downs, especially used for a main nav could prove to push some users away.

Philip Warbasse
www.warbassedesign.com