[thelist] Select Menus - Are they usefull?

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Fri Mar 22 18:31:13 CST 2002

On Mar 23, Donald Noble had something to say about [thelist] Select Menus -...

>I have read material by both Jukka Korpela and Jakob Nielsen, who both
>argue against them, but it does provide a compact method of showing a
>lot of choices.

not to me, it doesn't. i don't use my mouse while i surf (for the most
part) and you won't get me to use it just to click on your dropdown menu
to see whether there might possibly be something i'd be interested in. and
i'm certainly not gonna try to Tab to it.

fact it, it only shows one item at a time (usually) unless it's in its
expanded state. i don't like them when they're used as navigation
tools. however, sometimes it's the best of few options.

hth,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com