[thelist] php file uploads

noah noah at tookish.net
Fri Mar 22 23:57:01 CST 2002

I'm trying to get a php file upload to work, and not having any success.

The script appears to run through properly - I don't get any errors, and
afterwards I'm able to access $file, $file_name, $file_type, and $file_size
for the file that I just (supposedly) uploaded. The file, however, is not
on the server, either in the temporary directory or the permanent directory
to which I'm subsequently trying to copy it.

This is an older version of php, so it's possible that the host has
disabled uploads due to the recent vulnerability. This would surprise me,
though, since I'm using a deprecated hosting plan that appears to have no
one actively administrating it. Is there any way of telling if uploads have
been disabled?

I came across one post to the php manual that says that permission issues
make it virtually impossible to get uploads working when php is running in
"safe mode" (which it is). This seems like the most plausible explanation.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone know of any way
around it?

There is also the distinct possibility that the script is just wrong, but
having fiddled with it for a few hours I'm at the point where I'd like to
eliminate some other possibilities before spending any more time.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Noah