[thelist] targeting effectively

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 24 18:35:00 CST 2002

> Read back thru aardvark and matt's posts. In about a thousand words you've
> got a decade of coding experience you could benefit from.
I've been coding professionally for close to 10 yrs.  Does that mean I'm
special too?

> I'll attempt to summarize it: if you write good code, it will work nearly
> everywhere.
No, what they are saying is write code minus any functionalities that you
cant effectively replicate using standard vanilla html 2.0 and don't rely
upon these functionalities in your site

> If you're working hard to reach 90% of your audience, and these guys are
> working less to reach 99%+ of their audience, who do you think is writing
> 'good code' ?
No, the question is if I'm working to tailor and customize a presence to
target 99% of my market, should I "dumb down" what I am creating so that the
other 1% can view/access/etc. the presence?

Does "good code" mean:
1. available to everyone (at a possible loss of creativity/functionality)
or
2. optimized for the target market (at a possible loss of a few users)?

David
www.confluentforms.com