[thelist] targeting effectively

Matt Liotta mliotta at iname.com
Mon Mar 25 01:34:01 CST 2002

On 3/24/02 11:16 PM, ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> myself and my clients would prefer to put their message in front of as many
> users as possible.

Well good for you and your clients. One of my clients, MSFT, asked me to
make sure that only people with IE 6 and a certain version of the .NET CLR
are able to look at certain content. I thought they were retarded, but guess
what? They were paying for it, so they got what they wanted.

What most of the people in this thread seem to be missing is what the point
behind doing work for a client is. The point is simply to deliver what the
client wants. Sure you can suggest that they might actually want something
else, but if the client wants something and it only is going to work in some
browsers... Too fucking bad for the people without those browsers. There are
always going to be features that aren't standards based. Why? Because
standards take years to develop, while it doesn't take very look to make new
features for a browser.

We are know how this works. One browser comes up with a new feature that
isn't in the standard. Some other browser implements a similar feature. If
you want to use the feature you have to code it different for each browser.
THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO DO IT. Sure you can try and convince the client
that they don't want that feature, but if the client really wants that
feature then the client will get that feature. Maybe not from you, but they
will get it from someone.

-Matt