[thelist] flash: preloading before actually loading

Otto Johnson ottobjohnson at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 14:51:01 CST 2002

How would I use the attachMovie() rather than
loadMovie?

Also, if I load a movie into a target SWF, then unload
it, then reload soon afterwards, will it be cached the
second time or will it take just as long to load?

thanks!

Otto B

Erik Mattheis wrote:

   What you can do is make sure you give the visitor
something to look
   at/read and move the loadMovie() actions after that
point, but before
   they're needed - load them into MovieClips with
this action attached:

   onClipEvent(load) {
      this._visible = false
   }

   Then when you need to use the clips, set their
_visible to true.

   Another way would to be to use attachMovie()
instead of loadMovie() -
   but then you have less control over the loading
order - which is a
   problem unless the clips are very small filesize wise.