[thelist] targeting: another dimension

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Mar 25 15:16:01 CST 2002

Howdy, it's Monday... I see a long thread here which was obviously of great
interest to many, but it's too expensive to scroll through and parse 80+
messages, each quoting and rebutting the others.

(In other words, that thread's reading costs pretty effectively un-targeted
me.... ;-)

I'm getting the sense that the thread is really about the "Who is my
audience?" problem, but it would be a great complement to the list if there
was some type of presentation which distilled the conversation... instead
of accreting increasing masses of quotes and rebuttals, if there was some
mechanism to pare away the unnecessary stuff and make the actual
conversation more accessible.

Wiki can be used this way, but most people don't want to see their words
pared away, so unless someone is willing to take some heat as an editor
this path can be difficult.

I'm just musing, no action item here, no need to reply... I just found it
ironic that a thread about targeting apparently wasn't tailored for the
whole audience, that's all.... ;-)

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco CA US