[thelist] targeting effectively

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Tue Mar 26 04:13:01 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Subject:    Re: [thelist] targeting effectively

>Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers
>
>>The position, rather, is "The expectation is that it will be 100%
>>compliant. If you wish to deviate from that, it's not impossible, but
>>deviations will be managed by exception - you need to make a case
complete
>>with an impact assessment to do so"

>So we agree, right?

Yes, with the proviso that for WAI Priority 1 issues, you simply wouldn't
get signoff. Note that offering access to core functionality without
requiring client-side scripting is a Priority 1 issue. See the w3.org URL I
cited below

>>Although in an increasing number of environments, making a site which
>>requires client-side scripting (Javascript, Java, Flash etc) to operate
its
>>core functionality is getting very, very heavy slaps from legal
>>departments:
>>http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/bat2001.html
>http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/wai-pageauth.html#tech-scripts
>http://elj.warwick.ac.uk/jilt/01-2/sloan.html#5.1
>
>Note that in the UK, there is also legislation covering discrimination in
>employment, so a JS-requiring CMS is also in trouble.

>Then that would be part of the "case by case" assessment we both
>advocate ... but trial lawyers suck ...

Unlikely to get to trial (even AOL settled out of court), because if the
client's legal people are half-way paying attention, you won't get legal
signoff for an inaccessible site.

>the humor of the "CAUTION:
>HOT" message on coffee cups wore out years ago.

Interesting how that case is always mis-cited, eh?

>And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there has never
>been a successful case where a non-governmental site was forced to
>put alt and title tags on all their images.

http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/bat2001.html although the timing of the case,
and the incompetance of the site developers made it a bit pointless.

And if you think that that's all accessibility consists of, might I suggest
you read the WAI list?

And there are *plenty* of sites which their internal legal people have
forced accessibility into the site design because of
http://www.drc.org.uk/drc/InformationAndLegislation/Page321.asp

>The accessibility laws
>only apply to governmental sites ... just like it's a private
>company's prerogative to make their website accessible.

Um maybe in your country... for the time being.

Cheers
Martin

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.