[thelist] is the web-safe palete dead?

Edwin Martin e.j.martin at chello.nl
Tue Mar 26 04:14:00 CST 2002

Hi Andrew Gianni,

>I haven't been paying that much attention, and I only recently joined this
>list, so I'm assuming this has been hashed and rehashed, but it's a changing
>issue and even Lynda Weinman says it's not important anymore for most
>situations:
>
>http://www.lynda.com/hex.html

Right now, only 4% of the visitors have 256 colors (or less).

So you can degrade your colors to accommodate this 4%.

But why degrade your colors for 96% of your visitors for
the 4% of your visitors who don't care about nice colors anyway?

(I think a lot of these 4% only has to select 'High Colors' or
'True Colors' in a control panel.) The last video adapter
with 256 colors I saw in a store was in 1993! Only notebooks
took a while longer to switch to more colors.

Just use the best colors. The browsers of these less capable 4%
will degrade de colors automatically. (It might look worse, but
they asked for it).

That's my opinion (since '94).

Edwin Martin.