[thelist] is the web-safe palete dead?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 26 08:35:15 CST 2002

> From: "Paul Backhouse" <paul.backhouse at 2cs.com>
[...]
> I read somewhere that the websafe color range is due to be extended -
> buti wouldn't hold any hopes too high, its unlikely this will happen
> for a while yet.

er... maybe change what "websafe" means (like webmonkey did by
showing that 16-bit displays don't do websafe, leaving only 22 color
*truly* websafe)...

but websafe, as it stands now, means the colors that display at 8-
bit and are the same across Macs and PCs... granted, it's a short-
sighted concept (note the 22 color argument, and other platforms),
but it was initially designed to help consistency in color and avoid
bizarre color shifts and dithering...

in short, you can't *add* colors the web-safe palette unless you
redefine what web-safe is...