[thelist] is the web-safe palete dead?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 26 08:36:00 CST 2002

> From: Edwin Martin <e.j.martin at chello.nl>
[...]
> Right now, only 4% of the visitors have 256 colors (or less).
>
> So you can degrade your colors to accommodate this 4%.
>
> But why degrade your colors for 96% of your visitors for
> the 4% of your visitors who don't care about nice colors anyway?
>
> (I think a lot of these 4% only has to select 'High Colors' or
> 'True Colors' in a control panel.) The last video adapter
> with 256 colors I saw in a store was in 1993! Only notebooks
> took a while longer to switch to more colors.

just as a minor point (that is actually quite major if color accuracy
is that important)...  high-color is 16-bit... so...?

users surfing at 16-bit only see 22 colors out of the web safe
palette (see link to webmonkey article i posted yesterday at the
beginning of this thread)...

in fact, you may actually impact more than 4%...

if i use my site as an example, and given that true-color is 24-bit,
and hex colors are rgb triplets from 0-255 (24-bit), then the only
people who will see *all* the colors (including non-web-safe) as
intended on my site is about 45% of my audience...

how do i know?

i tested my audience:
Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part II
http://evolt.org/article/Part_II/20/2297/

with script from:
Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part I
http://evolt.org/article/Part_I/17/2295/

so, where did you get your numbers?

> Just use the best colors. The browsers of these less capable 4%
> will degrade de colors automatically. (It might look worse, but
> they asked for it).
[...]

well, not they didn't...