[thelist] targeting: another dimension

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Mar 26 09:26:01 CST 2002

There is a file on your hard drive named: IEXPLORE.EXE. Some you
might not have this file, in which case you can use NETSCAPE.EXE

Run this file and type in

gopher://gopher.tc.umn.edu/

Hit return.

Before like maybe 1995, most people with an internet connection could
do gopher, but not the web. Gopher people probably had the same
criticism initially about the www vs. gopher as I'm hearing now about
requiring JavaScript vs. not.

I can't find a consumer computer that you can't turn on and browse to
a (well coded) website that has JavaScript and it work fine. Flash
too for that matter.

You have to mess with things for JavaScript _not_to work ... so if a
site doesn't work because it requires JavaScript, is that the fault
of the designer or whoever disabled JavaScript?

>  > > I'm disappointed that nobody has yet told me why they decided to
>>  > start making web sites rather than gopher sites. All those poor
>>  > gopher users ... alienated, unsupported!
>  >
>  > Websites are more accessible.
>
>i can't find a windows gopher client?

- Erik Mattheis